Research & Development
The Future of Metal
Architects, artists and designers choose Zahner for one reason above all other. They know that if they can dream it, we can do it. Our engineering and design specialize in discovering practical solutions for our customers.
Our constant exploration of new ways of treating, finishing, shaping, manipulating, and just plain abusing architectural metals yields breathtaking and previously unimagined options for designers.
Current and Recent Research & Development
- Fusing glass and metal to create unique artistic expressions.
- Enhanced oxidized zinc surfaces, such as Roano™ Zinc.
- Enhanced oxidized copper alloy surfaces on copper.
- Oxidized steel alloys to create pre-weathered surfaces, such as Solanum™ Steel
- Structural support systems, such as the ZEPP® Process.
- Advancing the Zira™ Process.
- Integrating an in-house shadow finish process.
- Developing new chemical processes for sealing, such as the Z-1 Coating.
- Comparison testing of control samples and with new products to develop new patinas
Zahner creates smaller projects and products with the same level of craft that we dedicate to our buildings. Our philosophy is to combine unique metal surfaces with state of the art engineering and system integration. As a result we do not merely build column covers and chairs, tables and cabinets: instead we create unique and dynamic pieces that meet our clients’ desires.
The following is a partial list of the pieces that we have designed and fabricated for many of our clients:
- Architectural Accents
- Column Covers
- Custom Cladding
- Restaurant / Hospitality
- Light Fixtures & Sconces
- Screen Walls
- Store Fronts
Featured Post: Building a dual-curved facade with pre-fabricated panels. — Writer Susan Chaityn Lebovits profiles Zahner in Form Magazine, about how the Neiman Marcus facade was made in Natick, Massachusetts.
Featured Post: Zahner ShopFloor team develops a perforated Louvered Screen Wall Facade System — How a small team of ShopFloor engineers at Zahner hacked a ten-year old welding robot arm to create louvered screen wall facade systems.
ShopFloor: Create unique designs for architecture and interiors using a simple configurator.