L. William Zahner appointed to U.S. Dept of Commerce
The United States Deputy Secretary of Commerce Rebecca Blank today announced the appointment of 26 members to the 2013 Manufacturing Council.
After a visit to the Zahner Factory in Kansas City, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Commerce Rebecca Blank today announced the appointment of 26 members to the 2013 Manufacturing Council. The Council, established in 2004 and directed by the Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration, helps to ensure that there is regular communication between the U.S. government and the manufacturing sector.
The Council is comprised of up to 30 members that represent a diverse cross section of the manufacturing industry, including steel, textile, semiconductor, and medical manufacturers. Their products support a wide range of industries such as the auto, apparel, aerospace, and energy efficiency sectors.
“Keeping our manufacturing sector strong is critical to job growth in the United States,” Blank said. “The Department of Commerce is focused on supporting U.S. manufacturers as they build things here, so they can sell them everywhere. The Council has an important role to play in shaping the direction of our nation’s manufacturing strategy and supporting American businesses and workers.”
“The U.S. economy depends on a strong manufacturing sector,” said Mike Laszkiewicz, Vice President and General Manager of Rockwell Automation, and newly appointed chair of the Council. “I am pleased to chair this important committee. I look forward to working with the Department of Commerce and presenting the U.S. government with new suggestions to strengthen American manufacturing and global competitiveness.”
The Council advises the Secretary of Commerce on government policies and programs that affect U.S. manufacturing and provides a forum for proposing solutions to industry-related problems. The Council also works to ensure that the United States remains the preeminent destination for investment in manufacturing throughout the world. The Secretaries of Labor, Energy, and Treasury serve as ex officio members of the Council to better collaborate on cross-cutting issues the Council will address.
Manufacturing is a key industry in the revitalization of the U.S. economy and the growth of U.S. jobs. The United States is the world’s largest manufacturing economy, employing nearly 12 million Americans in 2012, and responsible for the production of $1.7 trillion in manufactured products in 2011, or 11.5 percent of U.S. GD
The full list of appointed Manufacturing Council members is below:
- L. William Zahner, President & CEO, A. Zahner Company (MO)
- Michael Laszkiewicz, Vice President and General Manager, Rockwell Automation, Chair (WI)
- Mary Isbister, President, GenMet, Vice Chair (WI)
- Joseph B. Anderson, Jr., Chairman & CEO, TAG Holdings LLC (MI)
- Christie Wong Barrett, CEO, Mac Arthur Corporation (MI)
- Gregory W. Booth, President & CEO, Zippo Manufacturing Company (PA)
- Stephan G. Braig, President & CEO, Trexel Incorporated (MA)
- J. Joseph Burgess, President & CEO, Aegion Corporation (MO)
- Michael J. Cadigan, General Manager, Microelectronics Systems and Technology Group, IBM (NY)
- Carlos M. Cardoso, Chairman, President & CEO, Kennametal Incorporated (PA)
- Mark Chandler, Senior Vice President, Cisco Systems Incorporated (CA)
- Cody Friesen, President and Chief Technical Officer, Fluidic Energy (AZ)
- Hiroyuki Fujita, President & CEO, Quality Electrodynamics, LLC (OH)
- John W. Grabner, President, Cardinal Fastener Inc. (OH)
- Dr. Albert M. Green, CEO, Kent Displays Incorporated (OH)
- David Hastings, President & CEO, Mount Vernon Mills Incorporated (SC)
- Eric L. Kelly, President & CEO, Overland Storage (CA)
- Joel Lorentzen, CEO, Genesis Systems Group (IA)
- Claudine Martinez, President & General Counsel, MCT Industries (NM)
- Shirish Pareek, Founder & CEO, Hydraulex Global (MI)
- Andra Rush, CEO, The Rush Group (MI)
- Susan Smyth, Director – Manufacturing Systems Lab, General Motors Company (MI)
- Roy Sweatman, President, Southern Manufacturing Technologies Incorporated (FL)
- Jeff Wilcox, Vice President – Engineering, Lockheed Martin Corporation (MD)
- Carol Williams, Executive Vice President – Manufacturing & Engineering, Supply Chain and Environmental, Health & Safety Operations, The Dow Chemical Company (MI)
- Bill Yeargin, President & CEO, Correct Craft (FL)
Read the full article at the Department of Commerce.